The International Society of Pharmacovigilance (ISoP) is a professional, independent, non-profit society, open to anyone with an interest in the safe and effective use of medicinal products.
ISoP aims to foster science and learning in pharmacovigilance in all countries
We do this by providing:
- Opportunities for networking in a friendly environment
- Collegial and convivial support among fellow pharmacovigilance professionals
- An open and impartial forum for sharing experience and knowledge
- A platform for discussion and generation of new research and ideas
- Meetings, education and affordable training
Our working language is English.
The scope of pharmacovigilance
The nature of the global pharmacovigilance landscape and societal context has been rapidly changing in recent years, and is still changing. ISoP considers it important that the aims of ISoP should reflect this wider scope.
In the view of ISoP, the scope of pharmacovigilance is:
Any area that contributes better knowledge and understanding of the safe and effective use of medicines, pre- and post-marketing, including but not limited to
- Problems related to the active components and ingredients of medicinal products
- Problems related to medicines use, e.g.
– Prescription, dispensing, administration errors
– Adherence to the treatment
– Misuse, abuse, recreational use of drugs of addiction
– Poisoning, accidental overdose
- Substandard/spurious/falsely-labelled/falsified/ counterfeit (SSFFC) medical products
- Safety problems in relation to mass medication (e.g. vaccines)
- Antimicrobial resistance and other treatment failures
- Benefit-harm assessment and risk management
- Quality issues related to manufacturing, transport or storage
- Environmental effects
- Regulatory matters pertaining to the above