Special Interest Groups - Medication Errors
The ISoP Special Interest Group on Medication Errors
Medication Errors Group established in 2017
Ensuring the safe and effective use healthcare products is a key objective for all who work in pharmacovigilance, patients and all other stakeholders. One key element of that is working to reduce and mitigate medication errors. Therefore, in March 2017 ISoP established a Medication Errors Special Interest Group under the leadership of Dr Brian Edwards and Professor Ian Wong.
Mission of Medication Errors SIG
To provide an opportunity for ISoP members, and like-minded collaborators, to network globally in a professional and neutral environment to share evidence and solutions that can eliminate and/or reduce medication errors thus enabling continuous improvement in the use of medicines whilst supporting the interests of patients, families of patients and healthcare professionals.
Objectives of the Medication Errors SIG
Our objectives are aligned with and expand on WHO Medication Safety Objectives as follows:
• To create opportunities for those researching and investigating medication errors to network in a friendly and mutually supportive environment and publish their research using good quality outlets.
• To support healthcare professionals and/or organizations with scientific evaluation of medication errors and how to prevent them.
• To support regulatory authorities with medication errors guidance evaluation
• To organise and/or support trainings and tutorials to pharmacovigilance centres to further enabling their role in detecting medication errors through Individual Case Safety Reports (ICSRs) by using specific methods and tools. Insights from this enhanced detection can inform new prevention strategies to reduce medication errors.
• To provide a neutral and impartial forum for all stakeholders including patients to ask difficult questions and obtain answers within a reasonable timeline.
• To communicate current activities and provide a forum for discussion and generation of new research and ideas leveraging social media and/or other communication platforms.
• Evaluate and where appropriate recommend the need for meetings, education and/or affordable training, such as encouraging abstracts for the Annual Meeting and imputing into ISoP and chapter training meetings.
Activities to date:
• Regular meetings (virtual) every two months
• Developing external collaborations
• Subgroups examining social media strategy and prescribing safety assessment
Membership of the ISoP Medication Errors Group
• SIG leaders: Dr Brian Edwards and Professor Ian Wong
• SIG Project Manager: James (Jim) Carlson
For more information about our SIG contact: MedicationErrorSIG@pm.me ; firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
For more information, or If you would like to join the ISoP Medication Errors Group please contact Dr Brian Edwards by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org